Jr. Blues Travel to Jamestown

On Friday night, the Jr. Blues got off to a good start Friday night in Jamestown, NY. The Jr. Blues took a 1-0 lead into the locker room after the first period despite being outshot 9-3. Tommy Cooney was able to capitalize on a power play late in the third period. Cooney picked up the puck at the red line and made a nice move to beat a defender. He crossed the blue line and took a shot through a screen that beat the Jamestown goalie low to the stick side.

10 minutes into the second period, Brett Skibba scored a pretty goal on a fantastic individual effort beating the defensemen wide. 3 minutes later, Mitch Rogge would score his first goal of the season in his first game returning from injury. Skibba threw the puck at the goalie's feet and the rebound landed on Rogge's stick who put the puck in the back of the net. James McGing finished the night with 2 assists and Jack Sloan also added an assist. Despite building a 3-goal lead the Ironmen would add a goal of their own with under 4 minutes remaining in the second.

The Jr. Blues would hold a 3-1 lead until 3:10 left in the third period when Ironman defensemen Dylan Zink found the back of the net from the point. With 6 seconds left in the game the Ironmen had a faceoff in the Jr. Blues zone. The draw was won by the Ironmen and again Dylan Zink found the back of the net with 3 seconds on the clock. The teams would play to a scoreless overtime. The Ironmen would eventually win the shootout 3-2 and take 2 points. 

Despite outshooting the Jamestwon Ironmen on Saturday night, 27-23, another last minute goal beat the Jr. Blues as the Ironmen scored a goal with 17 seconds left in the game to beat the Jr. Blues 2-1.

The Ironmen opened up the scoring on the powerplay on a 3 on 2 rush. Ross Pavek would find the back of the net after the Ironmen beat 2 Jr. Blues fore-checkers. 8 minutes later the Jr. Blues would get a power play goal of their own. Mike Fazio won the draw back to Nate Chasteen who moved the puck to Jack Sloan. Sloan fired the puck on net and Tom Cooney (pictured above) was able to get a stick on the puck, deflecting it past the Ironmen goaltender.

The game would remained tied and the game would be pretty even until 17 seconds left in the third. 2 Jr. Blues players went down to block a point shot from Ironmen defensemen Dylan Zink. The puck would eventually hit both Jr. Blues players and end up on the stick of Ironmen forward Luc Gerdes who was standing wide open on the back side of the net. Gerdes would score the eventual game winner as the Jr. Blues fell 2-1.